Vintage wedding dresses are becoming a popular alternative for modern day brides.
Nichole Kidman - talented actress and fashion icon is best known for the gorgeous vintage dresses
that she has resurrected from the past. Fans everywhere wait expectantly to see what she will be wearing and she never disappoints. Made even more beautiful with the addition of beautiful vintage accessories
, even a simple dress becomes outstanding.
If you are lucky enough to have access to vintage wedding dresses try some on and see how unique the styling and the fabrics can be. Vintage wedding dresses tend to be very romantic, created from fabrics not so common today.
If you have fallen in love with the idea of wearing a vintage wedding dress, but you just can't find one that fits - or is in good enough condition - why not use pieces of the fabric and trims and incorporate them into your wedding accessories. Remember - something old. Vintage laces can be used as an embellishment on your wedding veil, or your garter, ring bearers pillow, flower girls basket, even in your bridal bouquet.
If you have a large piece of fabric from a vintage wedding dress, why not make a wrap to wear around your shoulders.
Each decade brought its own styles in wedding dresses....
A vintage wedding dress popular in the 1930 would include;
Vintage wedding dress styles from the 1940....
- Satin bias cut bridal gown
- Buttoned down the back or closed at the side.
- Sleeves were long and would taper at the forearm.
- The wedding dress would also come with a detachable train which would allow the bride to wear the gown as evening wear after the wedding.
- A natural sleek appearance was thought desirable in wedding gowns and the accent was on bias cutting and the drape of the fabric.
- Lace and frills were used in the yoke as trim.
- A very minimalist look with a Basque waist and sweetheart neckline.
- A hidden metal side zipper or a button and loop back were used.
- Long sleeves that tapered with a wedding point over the top of the hand were in vogue
Lot of lace - some were constructed with 24 feet of Chantilly.
Vintage wedding dress styles from the 1960's....
Even the mini skirt found acceptance as a wedding dress. The hippie movement had its effect too, hemlines were ankle skimming and a natural look was preferred.
Accessories to compliment a vintage wedding dresses should include beaded handbag, chandelier earrings, feather hairpiece, cameo broach, a long pair of gloves and sparkly heels.