With your big day fast approaching, the decision to buy a tux or rent one is yours alone to make.
Things to consider when buying a tuxedo....
If you and your new bride will be attending formal functions in the future, buying a tux is a really good idea. If going to the opera is not your idea of a good night out, then renting a tuxedo is for you.
When shopping for a tuxedo, try on a variety of sizes and styles to find the suit that looks best on your body type. Discuss with the shop owner your wedding formality, as well as your future plans for your wedding tuxedo. By choosing wisely, you may be able to get a number of different looks with the addition of a number of different pant styles. For example, on your wedding day you may want to wear a formal tuxedo pant with a satin stripe down the side, but for a less formal occasion, a plain pant will do.
The average price for a decent tuxedo is between $300 and $500. If you attend three or four formal events per year, buying a tux may be worthwhile.
What to look for when renting a tuxedo....
More wedding planning tips.
Ask friends and family to refer a store that they were happy dealing with. There are many tales of the men in the wedding party getting dressed only to find that pants are too short, accessories are missing and even worse- colors do not match!
- Plan to reserve all formal wear around the 3-4 month mark. Call a few chain or independent tuxedo stores ahead of time to make appointments and find out their rental prince range, what they have in stock, and what kind of package deals they offer.
- Shop in a store that updates their inventory on a regular basis, you will want to rent the latest tuxedo style. A good formal wear store will know how to measure you properly, and be sure to be fitted again the day before the wedding. The store should be able to supply you with all the accessories you'll need: bow tie, cummerbund, cuff links, suspenders, even shoes.
- Plan to pick up everything up a few days before the wedding to make sure it fits you right. and there re no surprises.
- If you have out of town guests in the wedding party, have them fitted in their city and be sure that they order the same suits as the rest of the guys. (preferably from the same company)
- Renting will cost about 10% to 30% of the price of a new tuxedo.